Helping students succeed
The Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Program (GEAR UP) is federally funded by the Department of Education. GEAR UP at Highlands is provided by Harvest of Hope IV (HOH IV), one of the GEAR UP programs administered by Washington State University Tri-Cities.
GEAR UP provides services and support to all Class of 2022 and 2023 students to prepare for and succeed in high school, higher education and their future. GEAR UP also provides professional development opportunities for teachers and staff to enhance their knowledge and work skills to assist students in pursuing and succeeding in higher education. The GEAR UP program offers activities and services to students and their families about the available opportunities for post-secondary education. Please contact the GEAR UP office at Highlands Middle School for more information about the programs and services.
- Before, during and after school tutoring
- Career exploration tools
- Career fair
- College and career planning
- College awareness field trips
- College planning tools
- College readiness activities
- Community college and university campus visits
- Financial literacy programs
- Post-secondary information
- Summer camps/programs
- Technology and online course work